damnlocal.sg - for all residents of Jurong West

Full Version: Prices Of Food Rose 58.9% Compared With 20 Years Ago
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From https://dollarsandsense.sg/singapore-inf...years-ago/

Quote:Meat, milk, cheese and eggs prices almost doubled the price (86.7% to 90.9%) it cost to buy them 20 years ago

Even then, these shocking stats don't account for the changes we've observed in daily life. For example, a carton of 30 Fairprice eggs was $4+ before COVID and it's not $8. I mentioned this a while ago in the Daily laughter thread.

Other notable increases include:

Quote:Utilities And Other Fuel Costs Grew 51.3% Since 2002
Health Care Costs Up 53.6% Over 2 Decades
Education Costs Up 75.7% Since 2002

While salaries certainly haven't increased that much for most of us. Sigh.

So I guess you can share tips on how to save money as prices will no doubt continue to rise.
the official reason for price increases was supply chain disruption from pandemic or smt right? i guess all the companies just forgot to reset the price. Smile
(15-09-2023, 06:27 AM)monstafish Wrote: [ -> ]the official reason for price increases was supply chain disruption from pandemic or smt right? i guess all the companies just forgot to reset the price. Smile

haha always quick to respond with price increases but slow to reduce.
(15-09-2023, 10:38 PM)vince95 Wrote: [ -> ]haha always quick to respond with price increases but slow to reduce.

Of course la...which company will turn down the easy extra profit?
Will this help curb the ever increasing prices?

[Image: U7hbuax.jpg]

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapor...ng-3804891
(29-09-2023, 12:46 PM)yh92 Wrote: [ -> ]Will this help curb the ever increasing prices?

Hmm. Unfortunately...probably not. The inflation seems to be global and is a much bigger problem than our government can handle. Maybe can stop some businesses from unfairly increasing prices but won't be able to stop cost increases.