damnlocal.sg - for all residents of Jurong West
Travel and food channels on Youtube - Printable Version

+- damnlocal.sg - for all residents of Jurong West (https://damnlocal.sg)
+-- Forum: damnlocal.sg (https://damnlocal.sg/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Food and Cooking (https://damnlocal.sg/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Travel and food channels on Youtube (/thread-6.html)

RE: Travel and food channels on Youtube - Icicle - 26-01-2022

This is something very different from anything else--food from the ethnic people in Eastern Russia. The town is so cold that they can't grow fruits and vegetables. They can even keep meat for almost as long as they want because it's always frozen. 

The first dish she shows off is sliced frozen raw fish and I really believe her when she describes how delicious it is.

RE: Travel and food channels on Youtube - AroyMakMak - 26-01-2022

(26-01-2022, 04:05 PM)Icicle Wrote: This is something very different from anything else--food from the ethnic people in Eastern Russia. The town is so cold that they can't grow fruits and vegetables. They can even keep meat for almost as long as they want because it's always frozen. 

The first dish she shows off is sliced frozen raw fish and I really believe her when she describes how delicious it is.

That's such a cool video (no pun intended...) because their food culture is so different from ours. Their traditional food also seems to be very lightly salted, if at all. I wonder if this has a big impact on their health.

RE: Travel and food channels on Youtube - jenzz - 28-01-2022

(26-01-2022, 06:47 PM)AroyMakMak Wrote:
(26-01-2022, 04:05 PM)Icicle Wrote: This is something very different from anything else--food from the ethnic people in Eastern Russia. The town is so cold that they can't grow fruits and vegetables. They can even keep meat for almost as long as they want because it's always frozen. 

That's such a cool video (no pun intended...) because their food culture is so different from ours. Their traditional food also seems to be very lightly salted, if at all. I wonder if this has a big impact on their health.

ya i wonder if eating that kind of food is good for health because her skin looks so good Big Smile

RE: Travel and food channels on Youtube - canary1990 - 28-01-2022

(26-01-2022, 06:47 PM)AroyMakMak Wrote: That's such a cool video (no pun intended...) because their food culture is so different from ours. Their traditional food also seems to be very lightly salted, if at all. I wonder if this has a big impact on their health.

I did a quick search on life expectancy in Russia by region and it seems like their (Yakut people) average life expectancy is 72.7 years, which is roughly average in Russia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_federal_subjects_of_Russia_by_life_expectancy

Of course there are many factors that contribute to how long people live but maybe their food doesn't really contribute to their health. It still looks very pure and probably healthier than the farmed stuff we get though.

RE: Travel and food channels on Youtube - monstafish - 29-01-2022

the winter temperature there is -40 degrees celcius Shocked
no wonder their food mostly raw or frozen.

RE: Travel and food channels on Youtube - kxingstar - 29-01-2022

(25-01-2022, 08:18 PM)totoro08 Wrote: Anyone else a fan of tsukemen? It's like ramen but you dip the dry noodles into a thick broth instead of having them mixed together. I find the noodles to be chewier and the soup to be more flavourful. After trying tsukemen, it was hard for me to return to normal ramen. Smile

Same! It's hard for me to go back to soup ramen after trying tsukemen. Especially when it's hot weather in Singapore, tsukemen just seems more appetising than a hot bowl of soup ramen.

RE: Travel and food channels on Youtube - totoro08 - 29-01-2022

(29-01-2022, 06:24 AM)monstafish Wrote: the winter temperature there is -40 degrees celcius Shocked
no wonder their food mostly raw or frozen.

Even freshly cooked instant noodles turn into frozen noodles within a few minutes. Shocked

RE: Travel and food channels on Youtube - crispy - 30-01-2022

happy new year to all! Im sharing a video of food in Bangkok Chinatown. highlight of the video for me is the youtiao with pandan sauce (maybe something like Kaya?). this youtiao got Michelin star somemore so dont play play.  Big Smile

RE: Travel and food channels on Youtube - membrain - 31-01-2022

(30-01-2022, 11:04 PM)crispy Wrote: happy new year to all! Im sharing a video of food in Bangkok Chinatown. highlight of the video for me is the youtiao with pandan sauce (maybe something like Kaya?). this youtiao got Michelin star somemore so dont play play.  Big Smile

Looks nice leh but Michelin star seems quite extreme. Maybe I'll change my mind if I try it.

RE: Travel and food channels on Youtube - mesmerise - 31-01-2022

(30-01-2022, 11:04 PM)crispy Wrote:

happy new year to all! Im sharing a video of food in Bangkok Chinatown. highlight of the video for me is the youtiao with pandan sauce (maybe something like Kaya?). this youtiao got Michelin star somemore so dont play play.  Big Smile

Their carrot cake looks the same as ours. I wonder if it tastes the same. The host seems to enjoy it a lot.