damnlocal.sg - for all residents of Jurong West
Travel and food channels on Youtube - Printable Version

+- damnlocal.sg - for all residents of Jurong West (https://damnlocal.sg)
+-- Forum: damnlocal.sg (https://damnlocal.sg/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Food and Cooking (https://damnlocal.sg/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Travel and food channels on Youtube (/thread-6.html)

RE: Travel and food channels on Youtube - Icicle - 01-02-2022

(31-01-2022, 11:40 PM)mesmerise Wrote: Their carrot cake looks the same as ours. I wonder if it tastes the same. The host seems to enjoy it a lot.

Yah I was wondering about that too. Is a simple plate of cai tow kway really that great or was that more than a simple plate of ctk?

The youtiao and pandan sauce looks nice though. Wouldn't mind checking it out the next time I visit bkk.

RE: Travel and food channels on Youtube - crispy - 01-02-2022

(31-01-2022, 11:40 PM)mesmerise Wrote: Their carrot cake looks the same as ours. I wonder if it tastes the same. The host seems to enjoy it a lot.

(01-02-2022, 02:19 AM)Icicle Wrote: Yah I was wondering about that too. Is a simple plate of cai tow kway really that great or was that more than a simple plate of ctk?

The youtiao and pandan sauce looks nice though. Wouldn't mind checking it out the next time I visit bkk.

dunno about the carrot cake leh. looks like normal carrot cake but this host doesnt exaggerate so maybe its just really good carrot cake?

RE: Travel and food channels on Youtube - canary1990 - 01-02-2022

(31-01-2022, 04:32 PM)membrain Wrote: Looks nice leh but Michelin star seems quite extreme. Maybe I'll change my mind if I try it.

I actually tried the youtiao with pandan sauce before. It's really tasty and addictive but...I'm not sure if it deserves a Michelin star. Just my opinion, but I thought it was a little too simple to deserve a star.

RE: Travel and food channels on Youtube - ScornfulScone - 02-02-2022

(01-02-2022, 10:29 PM)canary1990 Wrote: I actually tried the youtiao with pandan sauce before. It's really tasty and addictive but...I'm not sure if it deserves a Michelin star. Just my opinion, but I thought it was a little too simple to deserve a star.

I think I get what you mean. I'm sure it's a nice snack but it doesn't seem to require an extraordinary level finesse or creativity. But good for the owners la, Michelin star means more revenue.

RE: Travel and food channels on Youtube - shiv - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 04:48 PM)ScornfulScone Wrote: I think I get what you mean. I'm sure it's a nice snack but it doesn't seem to require an extraordinary level finesse or creativity. But good for the owners la, Michelin star means more revenue.

Michelin judges are still human la. Still prone to subjective judgements. Big Smile

RE: Travel and food channels on Youtube - NewtonsAdamsApple - 02-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 04:48 PM)ScornfulScone Wrote: I think I get what you mean. I'm sure it's a nice snack but it doesn't seem to require an extraordinary level finesse or creativity. But good for the owners la, Michelin star means more revenue.

I think so too but like what shiv said, Michelin judges may have been affected by other factors like their mood, the environment, or maybe they just have a sweet tooth.
The thing that seems to set the youtiao apart is the fact that they grill it over charcoal after it's been fried. It's a clever touch...but not exactly a super creative one.
Anyway, who knows? Maybe I'll be a convert after I try it and think it's the best dessert I've ever eaten.

RE: Travel and food channels on Youtube - membrain - 03-02-2022

(02-02-2022, 11:28 PM)NewtonsAdamsApple Wrote: I think so too but like what shiv said, Michelin judges  may have been affected by other factors like their mood, the environment, or maybe they just have a sweet tooth.
The thing that seems to set the youtiao apart is the fact that they grill it over charcoal after it's been fried. It's a clever touch...but not exactly a super creative one.
Anyway, who knows? Maybe I'll be a convert after I try it and think it's the best dessert I've ever eaten.

True..maybe I'll change my mind if I get to try it too. Looks like my next trip is Bangkok. Big Smile

RE: Travel and food channels on Youtube - Icicle - 04-02-2022

This is roti prata deluxe! Not only does the guy add chopped tomatoes, onions, masala, and eggs on the prata, it's then steamed in a banana leaf wrap. Absolutely mouth-watering.

RE: Travel and food channels on Youtube - membrain - 04-02-2022

(04-02-2022, 04:32 PM)Icicle Wrote:

This is roti prata deluxe! Not only does the guy add chopped tomatoes, onions, masala, and eggs on the prata, it's then steamed in a banana leaf wrap. Absolutely mouth-watering.

The banana leaf is a nice touch but I guess this isn't going to be the crispy prata Singaporeans are used to.

RE: Travel and food channels on Youtube - shiv - 04-02-2022

(04-02-2022, 04:32 PM)Icicle Wrote:

Oh man that looks so good. Thanks for the share! Like