Does meritocracy exist in your workplace?
(09-12-2021, 03:34 PM)canary1990 Wrote: i once worked at a large MNC (200-300 headcount in the local office) and there was a young european man who was working at a pretty low-level position. you could tell he was having a hard time because the office was mostly Singaporean or Asian and his first language wasn't English. 

more recently, I decided to see how he was doing and turns out he's now the MD of one of the major European offices of the MNC. Shocked

so I think what happened is that he was pretty much handpicked or at least shortlisted to be in senior management from the start but he was also made to go through a "trial of fire" by working in a very junior position in a foreign country. 

in a way, i guess there's no pure meritocracy but like what NewtonsAdamsApple wrote, it's still not easy for the "selected" people to achieve success.

That's an interesting story. It's probably also worth noting that they promoted him to MD when he was out of the Singapore branch so it's not so obvious that he was a chosen one.
Add Thank You Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does meritocracy exist in your workplace? - by DennisTheMenace - 13-12-2021, 05:52 PM