Home Cooking / Eating at home
Who here cooks very often? Share what you cook? I’m super running out of ideas what to cook!!!
Add Thank You Reply
I can't claim to be a good cook but if I need to make something quick and easy, this egg and tomato recipe is my go-to dish.

It's a very popular dish from China so you may find dozens of different recipes online. But what I do is:
  • Make scrambled egg with onion first
  • Put scrambled egg aside
  • Make the tomato sauce with tomato, some ketchup + water, salt + sugar
  • Mix scrambled egg in the tomato sauce
  • Add spring onion for garnishing

Goes very well with rice. Like
[-] The following 2 locals thanked membrain for this post:
  • Destiny, DennisTheMenace
Add Thank You Reply
I'm gonna make some stir fried pig's liver in oyster sauce later. Not something I eat regularly but it's good to boost my iron intake from time to time, especially when I feel a little dizzy after standing up too quickly.

1. Mix oyster sauce and water in a bowl; not too much water but just enough to account for evaporation later during cooking
2. Caramelise sliced onions over low-med heat
3. Turn heat up higher and add sliced liver (should be somewhat thinly sliced)
4. After slightly browning the liver, add oyster sauce and water mixture and let it simmer for a while

[Image: IMG20180621142814.jpg?resize=640%2C480]

Mine rarely turn out so perfectly cooked like this pic but decent enough for my liking. Smile
[-] The following 3 locals thanked ghettomotto for this post:
  • Destiny, jenzz, kxingstar
Add Thank You Reply
haha i never dared to eat liver.. i hated it during confinement.. it has that 'metal taste' to me.. lol
Add Thank You Reply
(04-12-2021, 03:02 PM)Destiny Wrote: haha i never dared to eat liver.. i hated it during confinement.. it has that 'metal taste' to me.. lol

Yeah I understand. It's an acquired taste. 

The metallic taste puts many people off that's why I like the oyster sauce recipe which balances it out. That's also why others add spring onion or even chili to mask the taste even more. But it has important nutrients!

I have a unique recipe that I discovered some years ago: Sichuan aglio olio. Big Smile

1. Soften chopped garlic, chopped chili, and black pepper in olive oil over low heat
2. Increase heat slightly and add in sichuan peppercorn to release its flavour
3. Toss cooked pasta and any other ingredients (mushrooms, meat, whatever) in

It's quite an odd combination but sichuan peppercorn really mixes well in aglio olio.
[-] The following 4 locals thanked ghettomotto for this post:
  • arthur, shiv, berry_good, DennisTheMenace
Add Thank You Reply
(04-12-2021, 06:08 PM)ghettomotto Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 03:02 PM)Destiny Wrote: haha i never dared to eat liver.. i hated it during confinement.. it has that 'metal taste' to me.. lol

The metallic taste puts many people off that's why I like the oyster sauce recipe which balances it out. That's also why others add spring onion or even chili to mask the taste even more. But it has important nutrients!

I have a unique recipe that I discovered some years ago: Sichuan aglio olio. Big Smile

1. Soften chopped garlic, chopped chili, and black pepper in olive oil over low heat

It's quite an odd combination but sichuan peppercorn really mixes well in aglio olio.

Sichuan aglio olio sounds like it could work. Will try it out myself. Like
Add Thank You Reply
(04-12-2021, 02:29 PM)ghettomotto Wrote: I'm gonna make some stir fried pig's liver in oyster sauce later. Not something I eat regularly but it's good to boost my iron intake from time to time, especially when I feel a little dizzy after standing up too quickly.

1. Mix oyster sauce and water in a bowl; not too much water but just enough to account for evaporation later during cooking
2. Caramelise sliced onions over low-med heat
3. Turn heat up higher and add sliced liver (should be somewhat thinly sliced)
4. After slightly browning the liver, add oyster sauce and water mixture and let it simmer for a while

[Image: IMG20180621142814.jpg?resize=640%2C480]

Mine rarely turn out so perfectly cooked like this pic but decent enough for my liking. Smile

This is my reminder to eat some organs soon. Been having some short spells of dizziness while working lately. Maybe it's the weather but it won't hurt to boost my iron intake. Like
[-] The following 1 local thanked kxingstar for this post:
  • jenzz
Add Thank You Reply
(04-12-2021, 06:08 PM)ghettomotto Wrote:

This is quite creative! I think I'll try making it this weekend. Smile
Add Thank You Reply
Mutton Curry

Okay I've been a bit hesitant to share this recipe because I don't cook as much as some of you do, so I'm a little shy. But I've made these quite a few times and it's always turned out well.

Essentially, it's a more health-conscious version of the kind of mutton curry/masala we normally see in South Indian eateries. The main difference here is the use of tomato paste instead of coconut milk or yoghurt.

1. Fry chopped onions, ginger, garlic, and masala spices in oil over low heat to release the flavours
  2. Throw in mutton chunks to brown them slightly
  3. Add pre-soaked chickpeas (preferably for about 24 hours) with some of the soaking water
  4. Can add potato chunks if you like
  5. Add tomato paste (I normally use 1/3 to 1/2 of a small can of Gilda tomato paste)
  6. May have to add more water to make sure everything's covered up nicely
  7. Let it simmer (low heat) until chickpeas and mutton are soft
  8. Add salt to taste

It's one of those dishes that taste even better after being left alone overnight.

Enjoy your (relatively) healthy curry! Let me know if you have ways to improve this recipe (without adding yoghurt, coconut milk, or ghee).
[-] The following 1 local thanked arthur for this post:
  • DennisTheMenace
Add Thank You Reply
(09-12-2021, 11:57 PM)arthur Wrote: Mutton Curry

Okay I've been a bit hesitant to share this recipe because I don't cook as much as some of you do, so I'm a little shy. But I've made these quite a few times and it's always turned out well.

Essentially, it's a more health-conscious version of the kind of mutton curry/masala we normally see in South Indian eateries. The main difference here is the use of tomato paste instead of coconut milk or yoghurt.

1. Fry chopped onions, ginger, garlic, and masala spices in oil over low heat to release the flavours
  2. Throw in mutton chunks to brown them slightly
  3. Add pre-soaked chickpeas (preferably for about 24 hours) with some of the soaking water
  4. Can add potato chunks if you like
  5. Add tomato paste (I normally use 1/3 to 1/2 of a small can of Gilda tomato paste)
  6. May have to add more water to make sure everything's covered up nicely
  7. Let it simmer (low heat) until chickpeas and mutton are soft
  8. Add salt to taste

It's one of those dishes that taste even better after being left alone overnight.

Enjoy your (relatively) healthy curry! Let me know if you have ways to improve this recipe (without adding yoghurt, coconut milk, or ghee).

There are actually a couple of Indian curries that are quite similar to what you posted so don't be shy to share.
And yes, they are delicious.  Smile
Add Thank You Reply