Anyone else disappointed in FairPrice?
FairPrice has recently been in the news for inaccurately labelling their products. It all started when someone found that a packet of chicken breast was labelled as being 59g or 36% heavier than it actually is. In other words, you'd be paying 36% more for the chicken breast.

[Image: IFi0osm.png]

FairPrice's response wasn't great. On their Facebook page they wrote, "We advise the public not to circulate unverified claims which may cause unnecessary public alarm. We appeal to customers to contact us directly so we may address their concerns expeditiously and avoid any misunderstanding."

I believe it's the right of consumers to inform other consumers if a large corporation like NTUC FairPrice is engaging in such unfair business practices. To hear that kind of response from FairPrice was disappointing. Especially in the age of social media, such communication between consumers is expected. 

And then it happened again. This video was posted on Reddit, showing a pack of salmon that was marked up about 68% (!).

It got worse for FairPrice as Shin Min Daily News found that Cold Storage and Sheng Siong actually gave more meat than they were supposed to. English story here.

This has really damaged my trust in FairPrice. I think I'll actually take some time to weigh my meat purchases before paying.
[-] The following 3 locals thanked NewtonsAdamsApple for this post:
  • canary1990, mich.c, Autumnn
Add Thank You Reply
I was quite shocked when I was following this news item too.
But I read that this overweighing may be due to fairprice staff doing so on purpose so they can bring more unsold meat back home.
If this is the case, is it because fairprice is not paying their staff sufficiently or is it because the organisational culture allows for such practices?
Either way, fairprice has to sort itself out.
Add Thank You Reply
(09-02-2022, 11:05 PM)NewtonsAdamsApple Wrote: And then it happened again. This video was posted on Reddit, showing a pack of salmon that was marked up about 68% (!).

paying 68% more is really no joke..lets hope fairprice can fix this soon.
[-] The following 1 local thanked monstafish for this post:
  • canary1990
Add Thank You Reply
(10-02-2022, 06:30 AM)monstafish Wrote: paying 68% more is really no joke..lets hope fairprice can fix this soon.

Hope so too. It's been so hard for so many Singaporeans in the last two years, we shouldn't need to worry about our supermarket overcharging us.
Add Thank You Reply
disappointed is the right word..since fairprice is supposed to be sort of like gov-owned and for the people.
Add Thank You Reply
(09-02-2022, 11:05 PM)NewtonsAdamsApple Wrote: FairPrice has recently been in the news for inaccurately labelling their products. It all started when someone found that a packet of chicken breast was labelled as being 59g or 36% heavier than it actually is. In other words, you'd be paying 36% more for the chicken breast.

FairPrice's response wasn't great. On their Facebook page they wrote, "We advise the public not to circulate unverified claims which may cause unnecessary public alarm. We appeal to customers to contact us directly so we may address their concerns expeditiously and avoid any misunderstanding."

I believe it's the right of consumers to inform other consumers if a large corporation like NTUC FairPrice is engaging in such unfair business practices. To hear that kind of response from FairPrice was disappointing. Especially in the age of social media, such communication between consumers is expected. 

And then it happened again. This video was posted on Reddit, showing a pack of salmon that was marked up about 68% (!).

It got worse for FairPrice as Shin Min Daily News found that Cold Storage and Sheng Siong actually gave more meat than they were supposed to. English story here.

This has really damaged my trust in FairPrice. I think I'll actually take some time to weigh my meat purchases before paying.

when i read the story, i felt like singaporeans will just blindly trust fairprice because it took a foreigner to find out about this scam. maybe we locals are too used to being comfortable and end up being too trusting?
Add Thank You Reply
fairprice thinks this is a good response... Laugh

[Image: GfykzDO.jpg]
Add Thank You Reply
(13-02-2022, 07:55 PM)crispy Wrote: fairprice thinks this is a good response... Laugh

You're right, this PR move just feels insulting. It's like they think we're stupid enough to believe that the weighing scales are the source of the issue.
[-] The following 1 local thanked AroyMakMak for this post:
  • Kurihara
Add Thank You Reply
(13-02-2022, 07:55 PM)crispy Wrote: fairprice thinks this is a good response... Laugh

better not to say anything..
[-] The following 1 local thanked monstafish for this post:
  • yh92
Add Thank You Reply
(14-02-2022, 06:16 AM)monstafish Wrote: better not to say anything..

ya loh they must think singaporeans are stupid. Laugh
Add Thank You Reply