Please think carefully before getting a pet
TODAY reports a rise in pet abandonment in the past 5 years

Most of these pet abandonment cases involve cats. 

I think it's partly because cats are technically not allowed as pets in HDB units, so when cat owners living in HDB get "caught" by government officers, they have little choice but to abandon the cats. So if you're thinking of getting a pet cat, please take into consideration the possibility of getting caught.

While it's true that many abandoned cats still get taken care of by cat lovers in the neighbourhood, it costs a lot of money for them to do so. Additionally, abandoned cats face the risk of getting eaten by wild dogs or pythons. Sad

Having a pet is wonderful but just remember that it comes along with its own responsibilities and costs.
[-] The following 6 locals thanked Kurihara for this post:
  • jenzz, monstafish, mich.c, ScornfulScone, DennisTheMenace, kxingstar
Add Thank You Reply
(02-03-2022, 04:57 PM)Kurihara Wrote: TODAY reports a rise in pet abandonment in the past 5 years

Most of these pet abandonment cases involve cats. 

I think it's partly because cats are technically not allowed as pets in HDB units, so when cat owners living in HDB get "caught" by government officers, they have little choice but to abandon the cats. So if you're thinking of getting a pet cat, please take into consideration the possibility of getting caught.

While it's true that many abandoned cats still get taken care of by cat lovers in the neighbourhood, it costs a lot of money for them to do so. Additionally, abandoned cats face the risk of getting eaten by wild dogs or pythons. Sad

Having a pet is wonderful but just remember that it comes along with its own responsibilities and costs.

I have volunteered at SPCA and it's heartbreaking to see abandoned cats and dogs there. If you're interested in getting a cat or a dog but have never owned one before, I recommend babysitting someone else's pet before getting one yourself.
[-] The following 2 locals thanked mich.c for this post:
  • ScornfulScone, Kurihara
Add Thank You Reply
(04-03-2022, 11:27 PM)mich.c Wrote: I have volunteered at SPCA and it's heartbreaking to see abandoned cats and dogs there. If you're interested in getting a cat or a dog but have never owned one before, I recommend babysitting someone else's pet before getting one yourself.

That's a good suggestion. One of my friends thought owning a dog would be easy until she actually owned one. She didn't abandon it but it's quite obvious that she has difficulties training and maintaining it.
Add Thank You Reply
New article on CNA today:

Quote:Animal shelters see 30% uptick in people abandoning their pets

Some animal welfare groups in Singapore are seeing a 30 per cent increase in the number of owners abandoning their pets. The groups say that the upward trend became apparent half a year ago, when the economy started to open up and some form of normalcy was restored. Chloe Choo reports.

If you have any friends or relatives thinking of getting a pet, do ask them to think twice because it's a commitment, not just another purchase.
[-] The following 2 locals thanked Kurihara for this post:
  • vince95, kxingstar
Add Thank You Reply